The Loss of THE SPOON

THE SPOON has always been referred to in our kitchen in capital letters. It was a perfect combination of spoon and scraper. It even had a lightweight handle so that it did not tip over and spray the kitchen with batter or broth. Now, we have dozens of spoons, but whenever someone said, “Hand me The Spoon.” We knew
what they were talking about without even asking.


Until today. Until it broke right in two while I was adding eggs to applesauce muffins. I am disproportionately upset about this. After all, it was over three decades old and there are other spoons in the world. But this was the spoon I learned to stir batter with for the very first time, it was the spoon that I reached for for everything from cake to soup to poached eggs, and it is the spoon we have purchased dozens of other spoons to try to replicate over the years, so I have no real hope of replacing it.


So after a suitable period of mourning, the Quest-Will-Be-On for a suitable substitute. I am hoping that the I can find something new and wonderful, and if I do, I will be sharing it with all of you.
Disclosure: Links in posts may be Nurturing Cuisine affiliate partners.